Improving Lives through Literacy
We offer tutor training several times a year, usually winter, spring and fall. Your training will consist of a combination of virtual facilitated and in-person sessions as well as some self-paced online courses, plus real class observations.
How to become a Literacy Volunteers tutor
- Fill out our online application and submit the form. We will contact you to make an appointment for an orientation session.
- Attend an Informational session, where staff will give an overview of our agency, explain what a literacy tutor does, where we need tutors and what to expect from the training. Staff will also talk with you about your interests and availability. You may ask as many questions as you like.
- Attend the Tutor Training sessions for your chosen area (ESOL and/or Basic Literacy).
- You will have a program manager who will arrange for you to participate in “Tutors in Action” where you will observe two live sessions of current tutors with their students.
- Start tutoring! Staff will work closely with you to make sure this is a successful and fulfilling experience.
- Stay in touch with your program manager and attend Literacy Volunteers workshops and social events throughout the year.